Monday, December 29, 2014

Systravatn, Skaftafell, Jokulsarlon, and other consonants

Good morning, and welcome to another day in Iceland! Ross and I woke up, not-quite-totally-refreshed after our first night in Steven, and ready to take on the day. First we stopped in this charming town, where we noticed a beautiful waterfall (yawn, Iceland, amiright?) with a hike next to it. 


A hike which led to this beautiful view...


...and this breathtaking lake...


...where some greedy nuns were horribly drowned.


Awesome.


I took some pictures of Ross standing at the edge of the world, which has always been a theme of our adventures.



And he took one of me, too!



After our visit to the final resting place for the naughty naughty nuns of Systravatn, we drove to Skaftafell, Iceland's biggest national park.



We hiked to the top of this waterfall, but not down into it, which I rather regret. Still, the road less traveled and all.



I think we spent our time very wisely.



Our always, our trusty STEED-ven (no?) was waiting cheerfully for us after our (actually really quite long) hike.  


Next up, Jökulsárlón, which is a shockingly popular and yet totally worthwhile stop along the ring road. Literally meaning "glacial river lagoon,"Jökulsárlón is a lake situated between a glacier and the sea. Because of this, huge floes of ice are constantly sloughing off the glacier (more and more now, of course) and floating along with the tide down to the ocean. It's really something. 




See what I mean about the lake's popularity? So many people! Geez.


After Jökulsárlón we turned around and drove and drove and drove back in the direction of Reykjavik. Somehow, though, we didn't really mind. 

All of these photos were taken from my iPhone. From a moving car. (A testament not to iProducts, although I suppose to that, too, but mostly to Iceland and the light)





Before we camped for the night we stopped at a beach near Vík. We desperately wanted to see some puffins, and we did (!!!), although not close enough for photos. I should take it for granted that I don't need to even say this, but just to be clear: puffins are the best. The. Best. 





Another waterfall, and then bed in a car pull-out near Thingvellir.



Stay tuned for Chapter Seven, in Which We Take It A Little Easier. Also, There Will Be Boats. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm of two minds about this. I LOVE the pictures and the stories, but I'm HORRIFIED that you're taking up precious Oregon time to blog. And to blog so lengthily!

    ReplyDelete